Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STSDB Version 4

Default STSDB Version 4

I would like to ask about STSDB release 4, with all promised improvements. What is your plans about it?

Regards,
    Saulius

We are working extensively on the new version. We are completely rewrite some of the database layers. (Of course, the good ideas from the current version will be kept and improved.)

After months of researches our team has discovered an appropriate data structure, that will both solve the problems in the current version and keep the performance.

Some of STSdb W4.0 features will include:
    • fast random keys inserts;
    • solved wasted space problem;
    • improved behavior on small transactions;
    • improved performance on long keys;
    • secondary indexes;
    • multi-threading layer.

Still we can't tell you the details. What is certain is, that the new version will be not compatible with the current one.

We have long-term plans for STSdb. We hope to release an alpha in the spring of 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by a.todorov View Post
    We are working extensively on the new version. We are completely rewrite some of the database layers. (Of course, the good ideas from the current version will be kept and improved.)
    Will you leave the "locator" concept in the STSdb version 4?

We will keep the possibility of creating parallel views of one table.
    Last edited by p.petkov; 04.12.2014 at 14:35.

Default XTable level automatic row based indexing does not exists in STSdb Version 3!

Been working on my own freeware Software which is based on STSdb Databases. My software "Goswaintha Free Personal Diary/Journal Software", was released in the past year. To let you know about a single serious problem is that STSdb Version 3 currently does not supports fetching of certain/manual number of Records, but from a user/application selected Table index in a given XTable. When there is Record keys, there is required a secondary XTable level Row indexing also, so that a user/application can easily fetch a number of rows from a manually selected row index in an XTable. Due to lack of this, all coding is hard and is done manual and consumes resources etc. etc.

Will you think of implementing XTable level automatic row based indexing? It will be a wise step and a milestone.

Thanks,
    Tushar

STSdb W4 will support secondary indexes.

Quote Originally Posted by aroratushar View Post
    Been working on my own freeware Software...
    Can you please, by educational reasoning, provide the example of the problem which you were standing for.

So, details, e.g. description of the table, its purpose, key type, value type. Why do you need second index and of which type?

I want to look on this problem from the programmer point of view, if you don't mind, and hope it will be useful for the others also.

Default RE:

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    Can you please, by educational reasoning, provide the example of the problem which you were standing for.

So, details, e.g. description of the table, its purpose, key type, value type. Why do you need second index and of which type?

I want to look on this problem from the programmer point of view, if you don't mind, and hope it will be useful for the others also.
    Hi!

I was informing the lack of automatic row numbering and fetching of rows from an XTable based on this row numbered index. Row key is a different unique id for the Row, but automatic numbering was not implemented in STSdb R3. When an XTable fetches records from the Database file, it must also automatically assign sequential number to each and every fetched row. So when I want to fetch Row number 1001 from all the XTable, it should give the exact row directly in a single line of code.

Tushar

Quote Originally Posted by aroratushar View Post
    Hi!

I was informing the lack of automatic row numbering and fetching of rows from an XTable based on this row numbered index. Row key is a different unique id for the Row, but automatic numbering was not implemented in STSdb R3. When an XTable fetches records from the Database file, it must also automatically assign sequential number to each and every fetched row. So when I want to fetch Row number 1001 from all the XTable, it should give the exact row directly in a single line of code.

Tushar
    Why didn't you fetch the row by its key, key can be always together with the record inspite of which numbers you show to the user?

What is a sequential number? Sequential number of the fetched records (if you fetch only 50 rows of 1000, then every row receives row number from 1-50)? Or is a sequential number starting from the table evolution?

If user wants to see in the grid, that this row is row number 5780 from 150000000.

There can be 2 possible variants.
    First, if all rows come one after another then you can put "row number" starting from 1 into the Value body. Key, e.g. is a DateTimeUTC.Ticks.
    Second, when row numbers must shift, by some kind of critera, the record which had row number 70 must become number 71 and so on with other records starting from 70 - I think it is not your case.

What is your case?

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    Why didn't you fetch the row by its key, key can be always together with the record inspite of which numbers you show to the user?

What is a sequential number? Sequential number of the fetched records (if you fetch only 50 rows of 1000, then every row receives row number from 1-50)? Or is a sequential number starting from the table evolution?

If user wants to see in the grid, that this row is row number 5780 from 150000000.

There can be 2 possible variants.
    First, if all rows come one after another then you can put "row number" starting from 1 into the Value body. Key, e.g. is a DateTimeUTC.Ticks.
    Second, when row numbers must shift, by some kind of critera, the record which had row number 70 must become number 71 and so on with other records starting from 70 - I think it is not your case.

What is your case?
    XTable Record key is usually id for the respective record. But where's the XTable Record automatic numbering? It is not implemented. I meant that XTable should have automatic rows numbering for all the rows in an XTable evolution from first row to the last, at run-time. Likewise, I would like to fetch more than 1 rows starting from a chosen row number 1001 till 5001 when an XTable contains 10,000 rows. I guess you probably noticed, that this feature was not implemented. So when we try to fetch rows from row number 1001, all the rows are parsed by LINQ or manually by coding. When this happens, the data of the rows is also loaded from the Database file. This needs to be implemented into STSdb Engine so we could easily fetch multiple rows in a single line of coding, with custom row numbers, without loading any other row and it's data which is not needed, as fast as possible.
    Last edited by aroratushar; 14.02.2012 at 15:26.